Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Pleiades

Living in a monastery, at 8,000 feet up in the mountains, I am a star gazer.  The Pleiades is a seven star cluster quite visible in the night sky at this time of the year.  If I look directly at the cluster, I cannot "see" the seven stars.  I have to look to one side or the other.  Why?  I find out that we have a blind spot in the center of our eye for night vision.  If we look directly at something at night we do not see it all.  I try to remember this when I tend to "judge" people, counting all their bad points as I see them.  Maybe, I don't see everything about them when I look directly at them in front of me.  I will say, "So and so is despicable, thoroughly bad."  Then I find out that someone loves them, or admires them.  I think these other people are blind.  But maybe it is me who just does not see of a person with my limited experience and view of them.  You hate your boss? Co-worker? Someone you interact with each day?  Do any of us really see all there is by direct encounter?  If someone judges you badly, do you not defend yourself, at least to yourself, that there is more to you than they see in their limited encounters with you?  "Judge not, lest you be judged."  OK, Maureen, your kids loved you.  Though they might be delusional, it might be I do not see all there is.  Big sisters are also Moms and Lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment