Thursday, February 9, 2017

A Calling

Paul Kalanithi said, " Putting lifestyle first is how you find a job---not a calling."  Lifestyle would include, pay, hours, work environment and might include city where you live.  I had all of that at one time.  I lived in a popular city, with good hours, environment and pay and housing.  But I did not feel called to the work.  Moreover, I was looking for a calling even if I could not use use that word.  Some people use the word, "Vocation," but for me that is too churchy or religious.  Calling can be something that a broad range of people seek.  I would ask questions such as, "What is the meaning of my life?"  "Why am I here at this time in this place?"  People who seemed satisfied with lifestyle were not asking this question.  Some might have been stuck in situations due to previous decisions.  I think that I have found my calling, at least for the now, which is all I have.  I make little money, have little control over my living situation, own a 25 year old car, but seem to feel that I am doing what is my calling, teaching about contemplative prayer to a small audience who seek me in their spiritual search.  And I write this blog daily too.  I am in San Francisco now where I just finished teaching two sessions, one with eight people and the other with four.  Maybe I am delusional about my calling in my field of teaching.  Ever hopeful! I have no regrets about giving up lifestyle.  Well, some regrets about the 25 year old car.

3 comments:

  1. Lifestyle is a good word to describe the way people live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping you are scheduling summer talks in Snowmass. I'm calling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving and receiving Spiritual Direction is gratifying

    ReplyDelete