Monday, April 24, 2017

Non-Believers


This Good Friday prayer is one I like as well, for non-believers, judged "Pagan" or "Infidels" by some.  Here is the prayer:
For those who do not believe in Christ,
That, enlightened by the Holy Spirit,
They, too, may enter on the way of salvation.
Nothing here about enlightenment coming from torture, or death threats.  Our trust is in the Holy Spirit, to show them their way to salvation.  It does not say that they have to be Catholics to get there.  The prayer does not say that they have to believe in Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  Could there be another way to fulness with God?  Perhaps.  We believe that Jesus came to save all, not that all would believe in him or what he did.  I am a Paulist priest, so I still like conversion work, but I am reminded that I am but a piece of God's great plan.  If I can keep loving God in my actions, that is the best introduction to Christ I can give.  

No comments:

Post a Comment